Here’s another easy peasy recipe that you can make at home, using only sausages, gravy mix, onions and mashed potatoes (bough from KFC):
It’s called Bangers and Mash (or Sausages and Mash), a well-loved British dish usually served during dinner (and with beer).
I thought of recreating this for our dinner tonight because I have here sausages bought from Earle’s Delicatessen. Ironically, they’re called English Bangers too. I was supposed to use them for the Baked Spaghetti I had planned to make today, but I didn’t want to miss (on TV) Pope Francis’ mass at UST as well as his concluding mass at Quirino Grandstand so I thought of the easiest recipe I know for the sausages.
The secret to achieving a near-perfect British version for Bangers and Mash is the use of onion gravy, instead of a regular gravy. You can choose to make this from scratch (try this recipe), or make everything simple with a gravy mix. I always opt for the latter, hehe!
Here are what you will need:
- Good quality sausages (I recommend English Bangers or Bratwurst for this)
- Gravy Mix (I use Del Monte’s Gravy Mix which is available in all supermarkets)
- 3 medium-sized onions, sliced
- Mashed potatoes from KFC
The 3-steps to making your own Bangers and Mash:
1. Cook the sausages in a skillet over medium-low heat until all sides have turned brown. Transfer to a pre-heated oven to keep the sausages warm (and for the meat inside to cook completely).
2. Prepare the onion gravy by mixing the gravy mix with 1 cup water. Set aside. Sauté the sliced onions over medium heat using left-over oil from the sausages, until translucent. Add the gravy mix and stir over medium-low heat until it thickens.
3. Take out sausages from the oven. Serve the mashed potatoes on a plate and then put the warm sausages on the mash. Pour the onion gravy on top.
Easy peasy and looks yummy, too! Andami ko talaga natututunang recipes dito. Thank you, Leah, for sharing this. May binibili ako sa SM supermarket na mixed sausages (Premium Fantastic Sausages ang brand) and they’re quiet nice and affordable. I normally use a piece or two when making pasta for me and my husband. Pwede siguro yun dito! 🙂