Not really a DIY recipe but we’re happy to have discovered this ready-to-mix spice paste for hainanese chicken at the Landmark:
It’s by Asian Home Gourmet and costs only P74.75 (that’s less than $2.00!).
The very simple ingredients:
- 1 packet Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice Spice Paste (good for 4 servings)
- 450g (1 lb) chicken thighs, cut 3 slis through the skin into the meat
- 2.5 cups (about 550 ml) water
- 1.5 cups (250g) uncooked rice
- Soya sauce and sesame oil to taste
You can cook this using either a non-stick saucepan or your rice cooker. We cooked ours in a non-stick saucepan and here are the 4 easy steps on how to make this dish:
1. Put rice, water and spice paste in a the non-stick saucepan. Mix well.
2. Place chicken on top of rice mixture.
3. Bring to boil. Reduce heat after and cook for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Turn heat off.
4. Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes. Remove chicken and season to taste before serving with rice.
Not only was this easy to prepare, the taste was not disappointing. The hainanese chicken rice was really good it’s almost like what we order in restaurants! The chicken has a nice gingery flavor in it but to enhance its flavor, we seasoned it with soy sauce and sesame oil before serving.
AJ also made a special sauce by mixing chopped ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and some garlic, which really went well with our DIY hainanese chicken rice!